Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Merging back into the rat race...

Another summer for the Dirt Dawg has come an gone. Gone are the flip flops and lack of any real planning outside of when and how far to run.

I am fortunate enough to work in a profession that has gratuitous breaks throughout the year but especially during the summertime. As a school administrator, more affectionately known as a "pro ass", I am more than ready for the break to recharge my batteries.

It is always difficult to get back into the swing of things and join the masses en route to our respective places of employment. I must now abide by a clock and have a routine in order to get my run or walk in, get ready for work, and get the kids off to their respective schooling/day care. However, it was out on the roads this summer that I had time to reflect and things began to make some real sense to me.

It is the routine of my daily exercise that as Emerson put it, "be first a good animal" that gets me ready for the "rat race". The daily grind so to speak is what allow my family to have summers off to experience America. It is not so much the speed at which one travels, nor is it the distance, sometimes it is just the fact that you are out there. Now, please watch carefully as I, Dirt Dawg, merge slowly back into the "rat race"....at least until the first holiday break.

No comments: