Decisions, decisions as i thought about where to run today. Kensington or Stoney Creek Metropark were my two choices (they both open @ 6 am as opposed to 8 am for the state parks and where i would rather run ---TRAILS, but the plans today did not allow for it) and I really didn't have any preference heading into this morning. However, as I got into the car and had to make a choice which way to head out I had a small epiphany.
Now, I have purchased a heart rate monitor to make sure my easy runs are truly easy and my hard runs are hard, monitor my fluid and fuel intake, why shouldn't i also take the advice that you have to train yourself for the conditions that you will run on as well? That being said, I headed out to Stoney Creek and started off on a 21.26 mile run that mixed both road (12.61 mi) and trail (8.65 mi). I know the North Country Trail Run is all on trails, and with the family headed up north next week i should be able to start doing some more trail work.
I try and save listening to my Ipod nano (actually the wife's) until I have a couple of hours under my belt, kind of like a reward, and give myself a bit of time to think to myself. Should have had paper with me.
(1) Why do mountain bikers not say thank you when you get out of their way on the trail?
(2) Has anyone ever been attacked on trail by a deer? i was lost in thought on the trail when i came within 6 feet of a deer munching on some grass. Probably what caused my heart rate to climb to 169 or a couple of the big hills.
(3) Nike Air Max Moto IV good for roads and smooth trails. Not great for some of the technical trails @ Stoney.
(4) New GU combination of Chocolate Outrage and Orange Outburst is Yummy.
(5) Why if you spend thousands of dollars on a tri bike, can you not spring for a jersey to wear? I mean if you go down...ouch...and the dude was hairy!
(6)Leave no trace!!! I saw too many gel packets lying on the trail today.