Monday, November 05, 2012

Locks of Love

"I don't know who you are anymore" replied my son to his mother the other day. She left for work the other day with hair inching down towards the middle of her back only to return with a short bob and the remnants in a Ziploc bag neatly banded up and measuring approximately 10 inches ready to ship. 

Ship where? Since giving birth to our son, my wife has twice now grown her hair out for an organization called Locks of Love. From the website: Locks of Love is a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children in the United States and Canada under age 21 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis. We meet a unique need for children by using donated hair to create the highest quality hair prosthetics. Most of the children helped by Locks of Love have lost their hair due to a medical condition called alopecia areata, which has no known cause or cure. Some also have lost their hair to cancer as well. The prostheses we provide help to restore their self-esteem and their confidence, enabling them to face the world and their peers.

If you can not stand the thought of growing your hair out 10 inches in order to meet the minimum requirements, you can also go to the website and make a financial donation to the cause.  I am proud of my wife for taking on the challenge to donate to such a worthwhile organization.



2 comments:

Neil Richard said...

My daughter and wife have done the same thing in the past. This time around though, my daughter made her donation to Pantene's program (very similar) since they had a shorter hair length requirement (8 inches). Glad to see other people helping out too!

Steve Pero said...

Mike, tell DG that my wife has raised chickens as long as we've been married, going on 12 years. If she has questions, feel free to contact me and I'll put her in touch with Deb. Your only really worry with chickens is dogs, all dogs want to kill chickens.