Sunday, November 04, 2007

Woodhaven Run In The Park 4 Miler

Prior to leaving the house today for the Woodhaven Run in the Park 4 miler, I tried to divert the debacle that ensued at our last race, when without a race #, Little Dirt Dawg was upset and was wondering why he did not have a #. So I made him his own race bib # with a 1 on it, but he said, "No, dad, this is my third race, it should have a 3." Dirrty Girl and I just looked at one another and said, "He's right." and quickly made a race bib with a 3 on it.


Minus a slight detour thanks to a construction filled I-75 and me not paying attention, we arrived with barely enough time to get the troops into their respective chariots and discuss racing strategy. Pushing Little Dirt Dawg, Dirrty Girl was aiming for a finishing time of 44 minutes or 11 min/mile pace. I was aiming for a 30 min/7:30 mile pace with Dirrty Feather.



The temp hovered around 35 degrees, and we made sure the troops were layered and hunkered down before the gun went off. A wide open, flat course gave Dirrty Girl the opportunity to smash the time she had originally thought of as she used the mantra of " I can catch that skinny girl in front of me" and rambled on to a 39:52 finish and average of 9:58 per mile!!!


Dirrty Feather and I sped through the course in a time of 27:22, an average of 6:50 per mile. Good thing, because she had consumed her zweiback toast and her hands (no gloves) were cold!!


Besides the cool sweatshirts and lunchbox door prize we received, a ribbon to remind of us another family run Dirrty Feather proudly displayed on the way back home.

No comments: