Thanks to a fellow runner and listener of the podcast for this fun little test to see if you are a road or trail runner. What is your score?
1. Which would you rather run:
(a) the Boston Marathon in under 3 hours (0 points)
(b) the Pike's Peak Marathon in under 5 hours ( +1 )
(c) the Hardrock, who cares about the time (+2)
2. Do you regularly return from runs bleeding? (+1)
3. Do you regularly encounter animals which could maim or kill you (i.e. elk, bear, cougar, hog, or rattlesnake) ? (dogs don't count...only if you have been threatened by one) (+1)
4. Are all your running socks brown? (+1)
5. Have you ever gotten dirt in your mouth or up your nose from a fall? (+1)
6. Have you ever taken a detour in a race to top a peak or "see" what's over the next ridge"? (+1)
7. Do you time your workouts (-1)? Do you record the times? (-1)
8. Which do you fear more on runs, getting shot by hunters (+1), or getting shot by gangs (-1)?
9. Do you keep a written PR list (-1) Is it pubicly accessible (i.e. pinned to the wall of your office, or posted on a WWW home page)? (-1)
10. Have you ever missed a meeting at work because that loop was "a little longer than you thought"? (+1)
11. Have you ever had to pull cactus thorns out of your shoe, or a yucca spie out of your shin? (+1) Are there some in your leg right now? (+3)
12. On most of your runs, do you often have to decide whether to cross against the red light?
13. How long does it take a fresh pair of shoes to lose that "new look" two weeks (-1), one week (0), three days (+1) one day (+2), two hours (+4)?
14. Have you ever torn your shirt, shorts, or flesh on a barbed wire fence? (+1)
15. Do you regularly carry a street map on runs? (+1) A topo map? (+2)
16. Do you regularly wear gaiters or dump large amounts of dirt from your shoes? (+1)
17. Have you ever gotten lost enough on a run that someone had to come looking for you? (+1) And never found you? (+3) You're lost right now? (+6)
18. Are there times you can't go on your favorite run because of mud or high water? (+1)
19. Can you pee anywhere you want on your runs? (+1)
<7>A true road runner - may your PR's forever quicken
7 - 12 = A trail runner in spirit. now get the hell out of the city and move to where there are some trails!
> 12 = A hardcore trail runner. I can almost see your bloody knees from here