Monday, January 10, 2011

Endurance


During the cold and dark season of winter, there are times when I actually listen to that little voice in my head and stay inside to do a workout. Rather than stupidly slog it out in unsafe conditions I can turn to the treadmill or bike trainer to get my fix in.


While running outside, I might lose myself in some podcasts, inside, I need something more to occupy my time. Recently, I ran across this little gem.



Endurance (1999) is based on arguably one of the greatest distance runner of all time Haile Gebrselassie as it loosely follows his life from that of a young boy who ran because there were no other means of transportation to the 1996 Olympic Games where he wins the 10,000 meters. If you are looking for training tips, there are none unless you gleam from the movie that he has been running since he has a boy. What you will get is motivation from a man who despite naysayers and odds, continued to believe in himself and never gave up. That in of itself is enough to help turn the cranks or drive the belt of the treadmill in the winter.



1 comment:

Matt Ellenberger said...

"If you are looking for training tips, there are none" Love it. Reminds me of once a runner, specifically this passage, when Cassidy and Denton are at that cocktail party:

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that?